Children's Food, Healthcare, Shelter and Education Fund
Improving life for children and families worldwide is the mission of Aid For Kids. Currently, the focus is on the "Other Maine" Project and sponsoring programs in Vietnam, Haiti, and Lesotho, Africa. Aid for Kids is a 501(c)3 organization and all donations are tax deductible. Our overhead is less than 1%!
34th Annual Labor Day Weekend Adoption Camp Out
Aug. 28 – Sept. 1, 2014 at Kelly’s Point in Jonesport, Maine
Fourth Annual Educational Fair
September 6, 2014 - 10:00am - 2:00pm
Millar Civic Center Arena
FEATURING Bess the Book Bus - FREE New books for children and
- LOWE’S BUILD AND GROW CLINIC - kids construct wooden crafts
- SANDRA DONELLY, Artist - kids will build a recycled robot
- CARY LIBRARY - kids arts and crafts
- DR. ANNE LANGSTON, UNIVERSITY OF MAINE - aquamarine touch tank
- KATE DICKERSON, MAINE SCIENCE FESTIVAL - wind power demonstrations
- SARA MCQUARRIE, SNEAKIN’ IN SCIENCE - hands on science fun
- E-WASTE RECYCLING* - see attached list to recycle your electronics
- MASONIC LODGE - child identification program
- MAINE BICYCLE* AND PEDESTRIAN EDUCATION - bicycle rodeo for children who bring their bicycle and helmet (limited free helmet if needed)
- KATAHDIN VALLEY HEALTH CENTER - oral hygiene information
- MAINE FIRE MARSHALS OFFICE - fire hazard “smokehouse” to teach kids what to do in case of a fire in their home
- MAINE FIRE SERVICE HELICOPTER - information and demonstration
- MAINE WARDEN SERVICE - Safari in a Box - hands on learning project
- BANGOR SAVINGS BANK - opening new accounts for kids with a $5.00 deposit
- AROOSTOOK ASPIRATIONS – education display
- LARRY BERZ, EASTON SCIENCE CENTER - educational display
- COUNTY CLOWNZ - face painting and balloon art
- HOULTON ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER, FIX ME PROGRAM – low cost spay and neutering program.
- GAME BOOTHS WITH PRIZES
- BOUNCE HOUSE
- FREE BARBECUE LUNCH
- AND MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED.
The "Other Maine" Project
Warm coats to be discreetly delivered to children in need by teachers in Lincoln, Maine
Believe it or not, over two million dollars (over $800,000 in 2013) worth of new quality clothes, necessary household items, children's books and other merchandise has been delivered into the hands of those most in need in poverty areas of rural Maine in the last three years via more than 90 distribution partners such as homeless shelters, food pantries and Head Starts. This project, directed by experienced volunteer Dannette Ellis, has mushroomed faster than we have ever dreamed it would.
Although our primary focus has been northern rural Maine, we are now receiving requests from all over the State for our recent donations of diapers, warm coats, Nike sports clothing, Crayola Crayons, personal hygiene items, and household items from Bed, Bath and Beyond. We have been chosen by a major distributor for the National Diaper Bank Network to deliver 100,000 diapers. In 2012 we received 1,500 new warm coats for the State of Maine and in 2013 we received 6,500 and hope to receive more this year. After all, we are often the coldest place in the nation and the need is so great. Recently, Catholic Charities, which has food pantries in small isolated regions of Maine, agreed to distribute coats and other needed items to those poverty areas.
We are very grateful for the donations received from the Houlton Rotary Club, Bangor Savings Bank, Machias Savings Bank, Katahdin Trust, the Maine Community Foundation and other donors. We are in continuous need of donations to pay for shipping and handling costs.
To donate to The Other Maine Project:
Rachel's Bridge is finallY a reality!
Thank you to Aid for Kids for helping our family every step of the way to make this dream come true. Thank you to all who supported this dream and made it a reality. We are so thankful that Rachel's birth family and their community now have a safe bridge to cross to get to town and the ability to increase commerce in this area that is so poor. See our new youtube video “Rachel’s Bridge A Reality” which documents the dedication ceremony of Rachel’s Bridge and our trip back to visit Rachel’s birth family’s home. View our original "Rachel's Bridge" video which shares our personal journey reuniting our daughter with her birth family and finding this desperate need to replace a dangerous monkey bridge for her family’s village. As a result of all the kind and generous donations given, we were not only able to provide this beautiful, safe bridge (the design of this bridge has been chosen by the local government to be used to build more bridges to replace other unsafe monkey bridges in the area!) but we were also able to provide the funds to have a new home built for Rachel’s birth family after their home was destroyed by a typhoon…and, we were able to bless 20 elementary school children, whose families are too poor to send their children to school, with scholarships to pay for their expenses to be in school this year.
Rachel's Bridge A Reality Video
The school scholarship program is continuing! We would love to be able to continue to provide these scholarships for the children in Soc Trang. For one $20 donation you can help a child to continue to receive an education for an entire year! Please mark your donation for school scholarships – Soc Trang when you make your donation to Aid For Kids for this program.
We have 3 online shopping opportunities. Read more ...
Send check or money order to:
Aid for Kids
18 Market Square
Houlton ME 04730
or Donate online using PayPal.
Visit our Donation page.
Vietnam Photo Journal
by Don Funk